Michael Jordan just donated $1 million to relief efforts in the Bahamas following Hurricane Dorian
‘His Airness’, better known as Michael Jordan, is going above and beyond to help the people of the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian destroyed their beautiful island.
“I am devastated to see the destruction that Hurricane Dorian has brought to the Bahamas,” Michael Jordan said in a statement to news outlets.
Jordan’s spokesperson, Estee Portnoy, released a press release on Tuesday confirming that the retired NBA star, 56, has pledged to donate $1 million to “organizations assisting with relief efforts in the Bahamas in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian.”
Statement From Michael Jordan pic.twitter.com/JIcPGE8y2C
— Estee Portnoy (@esteep) September 10, 2019
In a statement, Jordan said, “I am devastated to see the destruction that Hurricane Dorian has brought to the Bahamas, where I own property and visit frequently. My heart goes out to everyone who is suffering and to those who have lost loved ones.”
Continued the Charlotte Hornets owner, “As the recovery and relief efforts continue, I will be tracking the situation closely and working to identify non-profit agencies where the funds will have the most impact. The Bahamian people are strong and resilient and I hope that my donation will be of help as they work to recover from this catastrophic storm.”
Health Minister Duane Sands confirmed to NBC News early Tuesday that 44 people have died due to the hurricane, which battered the Bahamas earlier this month. Thousands remain missing, the outlet reported, as relief efforts are still underway.